|The DCB Series Aerobeacon||Seeing The Light|
|The DCB-224, DCB-24
and DCB-36 Aero beacons
were originally designed for use in
airport applications, but became widely used in lighthouses throughout
the US in the 1950's.
Manufactured by the Carlisle & Finch Company, the lights could be installed in single or double configurations, and dependent on the wattage of the bulb installed emitted a pencil beam of intense light, visible for a distance of eighteen to twenty-six nautical miles.
The DCB-224 has a cast aluminum drum that houses a precision 25" parabolic reflector. The drum is mounted on a vertical shaft that is bolted to the three-legged aluminum base. The base houses the motor, drive gears and electrical system for the beacon. The DCB-224 can also be outfitted with a CG-2P automatic bulb changer, which automatically switches to a reserve bulb when the primary bulb becomes burned-out. Designed for severe service, the DCB-224 can operate unprotected in hundred-knot winds.
When outfitted with 400 watt metal
halide bulbs, a service life of 20,000 hours per bulb is expected,
thereby allowing a single bulb to burn continuously for over two years.